Friday, May 4, 2012

Getting Ready for a Performance

I am singing in my voice teacher's studio recital Sunday evening, so I've been buckling down and trying to get prepared.
I have procrastinated this spring in getting ready. Well I've procrastinated and allowed things to distract me.
But I'm getting there now (better late than never?).
  • I go over my music, being sure that I understand every aspect of the pieces, from the notes to the text and the context.
  • I visualize myself performing and the performance going perfectly.
  • The week before a performance I try to get to bed as early as possible and get plenty of rest.
  • I take time to pray and meditate and ground myself.
  • I cut out all alcohol and up my water intake so that my cords, and the rest of my body, will be hydrated and working smoothly.
  • I try to avoid dairy because I've found that it increases my mucus production.
  • I avoid situations with lots of people, where I would be required to talk loudly or talk a great deal. I try to talk less and not put any additional stress on my voice.
So that's what I'm doing this week. Add in an injured foot, the fact that there's no working keyboard/piano at home, a trip to the vet, a couple of birthday parties and a trip to the Atlanta Opera. Such is the life of a performer!

No comments:

Post a Comment