Monday, July 2, 2012

Recap

My 10 Days without Facebook or Twitter was a success!
I survived and after the first couple of days I loved it!
I stopped compulsively checking each email alert I recieved and focused on things that are important to me.

Just by eliminating two distractions (they were big ones!) from my life I felt a bit less frantic and I felt that my life was a bit simpler.

Now I'm working on finding balance.
I want to use facebook and twitter as tools, and not allow them to use me, and suck up my time and energy.
I'm trying limiting the amount of time I spend on facebook and twitter, and haven't quite found the right balance for me yet, but I'm working on it!

Could you give up social media for 10 days?
What about 1 day?

2 comments:

  1. I'm officially "off" Facebook at the moment. I have set no specific amount of time for this. I've been getting mad at myself though, because, although I'm not posting things on my wall, I'm having to check it two or three times a day for things like my son's soccer "stuff" and church "stuff." But reading this account of yours made me realize (DUH!) that I am now using FB as a *tool*, and that is not a bad thing :) I'll eventually start posting my usual banter on FB again, but the respite is quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is nice to take a break. I have been sucked back in and feel the need to take another break soon.
    I've been pleasantly surprsied by the number of friends who feel the same way I do about social media.
    The hard part is aplying what we know - that social media is a tool and not a means to an end.
    Good luck, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete