Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Quotes from "Happier at Home"

I just finished reading Gretchen Rubin's new book Happier at Home.
I really enjoyed it and now I want to read her first book about happiness The Happiness Project.

There were so many great truths and quotes that my copy quite dog eared.
Here are a few things that resonated with me

One thought was repeated throughout the book: The days are long, but the years are short.

On possessions: "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris.

On parenthood: "Enter into the interests of others." - A phrase from Tolstoy's Resurrection.

On time management: "My mind works in idleness. To do nothing is often my most profitable way." - Virginia Woolf

On perfection: Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

Do something that you don't really want to do for 15 minutes daily: A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labours of a spasmodic Hercules." - Anthony Trollope

On goals: "The feeling of growth and movement toward a goal is very important to happiness - just as important, and perhaps more important than finally reaching that goal. Nietzsche captured this tension: "The end of a melody is not its goal; but nonetheless, if the melody had not reached its end it would not have reached its goal either. A parable"

On planning: Plans are worthless, but planning is everything. - Eisenhower

On happiness: On the whole, tho' I never arrived at the Perfection I had been so ambitious of obtaining, but fell far short of it, yet as I was by the Endeavor a better and happier Man than I otherwise should have been, if I had not attempted it. - Benjamin Franklin

I urge you to check the book out for yourself, as well as her blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment