Monday, June 18, 2012

I'm an Addict

I am addicted to social media.
I check facebook and twitter multiple times a day, I'm embarrassed to admit just how much time I spend on facebook doing absolutely nothing.
Often "liking" my friends life events rather than calling them or sending a card, and connecting with them in some meaningful way.

I have been reading the book Almost Amish: One Woman's Quest for a Slower, Simpler, More Sustainable Life. Nancy Sleeth and her husband gave up their comfortable, upper middle class life in order to do what they felt was best for the world, their friends and family, and themselves. He gave up his job as a doctor because he wanted to save more than one person at a time. They gave up their big, fancy house and moved into a house that was the size of the garage in their old house.
To change the world they began with themselves.
They drastically cut their use of electricity and other resources. Their family has written several books, they lead workshops and talks around the country and they founded the organization Blessed Earth which equips people of all faiths to be better stewards of our planet.
In short, they walk the walk.

Here is the book description from Amazon:
Have you ever stopped to think, Maybe the Amish are on to something? Look around. We tweet while we drive, we talk while we text, and we surf the Internet until we fall asleep. We are essentially plugged in and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Rather than mastering technology, we have allowed technology to master us. We are an exhausted nation. No one has enough time, everyone feels stressed out, and our kids spend more hours staring at a screen each week than they do playing outside.

It’s time to simplify our lives, make faith and family the focal point, and recapture the lost art of simple living. Building on the basic principles of Amish life, Nancy Sleeth shows readers how making conscious choices to limit (and in some cases eliminate) technology’s hold on our lives and getting back to basics can help us lead calmer, more focused, less harried lives that result in stronger, deeper relationships with our families, friends, and God.
Today How 30 Days Without Social Media Changed My Life showed up on my facebook news feed (ironic?). 
I get the hint.
I can make a few small changes. Baby steps toward more meaningful relationships, a more meaningful life and less wasted time.
I'm going to start with 10 days without social media and I'm going to start with 4 hours of no phone, internet or TV on Sundays. Maybe I can work up to 24 hours.
My goal is that when I come back to social media my time spent on it will be more conscious and meaningful.
Starting tomorrow I will be off of Facebook and Twitter until June 29th.

What are your thoughts, reader? Is giving up social media for 10 days extreme? Is it something you could do?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could do it. I mean, I have so few real life connections - my son (who comes over every day), my mom (who I talk to on the phone every day), and my BFF (who I rarely see or talk to anymore). When my internet goes out, I feel so lost and disconnected because most of my connections are online. I suppose if I spent less time online I would get back to reading more, so maybe I'll try that - spending a limited number of hours on the computer each day, and reading more books. I do miss reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have gotten so much reading and studying done! I've been talking to people on the phone more.
    Especially in the beginning I did feel a bit lonely, but I feel like I'm connecting a bit deeper with the people I do interact with now.

    ReplyDelete